You are here
NSS Labs Announces 2018 Breach Detection Systems Group Test Results
Three Products Receive Recommended Rating; Two Products Miss at Least One Evasion
AUSTIN, Texas, Oct. 11, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NSS Labs, Inc., a global leader and trusted source for independent, fact-based cybersecurity guidance, today announced the results of its 2018 Breach Detection Systems (BDS) Group Test. In this fifth iteration of the BDS Group Test, three products from market-leading security vendors were evaluated for security effectiveness, total cost of ownership (TCO), and performance.
According to an NSS Labs research survey, BDS are most commonly deployed by the banking industry (49%) and the durables industry (manufacturing) (41%). Survey participants cited false positives and a lack of corporate image support as challenges experienced with various BDS products.1
A BDS is designed to detect and log both successful and attempted breaches in an accurate and timely manner, while remaining resistant to false positives. BDS utilize both static and dynamic analysis techniques to detect advanced malware, zero-day attacks, and targeted attacks that have bypassed network security controls. Through constant analysis of suspicious code and identification of communication with malicious hosts, BDS are capable of providing enhanced detection of threats. Such threats range from commodity malware to targeted attacks from state-sponsored threat actors that could bypass traditional network defenses such as next generation firewalls (NGFWs) and next generation intrusion prevention systems (NGIPS).
- The most important metric to consider for BDS is Time to Detect. The time it takes for attempted or successful breaches to be detected can influence the overall impact of an attack. The more time an adversary has to operate after breaching a network, the greater the possible damage.
- For a BDS product, rapid detection and analysis of both successful and attempted breaches is critical in halting the damage caused by potential malware infections or breaches.
- Attackers use evasions to bypass security controls. A single evasion can grant an attacker access to your network. In the 2018 BDS Group Test, products were tested against 374 evasions to evaluate how well they were able to detect the evasions.
- The resiliency of a system can be defined as its ability to absorb an attack and reorganize around a threat. NSS Labs measured the resiliency of BDS products by introducing a vulnerability along with its triggers and then asking the products to detect it. One product demonstrated full resilience against attack variants.
Click here to download the 2018 NSS Labs Breach Detection Systems (BDS) Security Value Map™, which provides a graphic comparison of Security Effectiveness and TCO across the tested products.
The 2018 NSS Labs BDS Group Test included:
- Hundreds of victim machines
- Collection and analysis of Terabytes of logs
- More than 2,400 attacks, which included 374 unique evasion samples
- Hundreds of discrete samples used by threat actors in current campaigns
- Exploits, malware, and evasion testing using regularly abused compromised mediums such as web and email and leveraging multiple common document types.
“Breach detection systems (BDS) attempt to discover attacks that can bypass traditional security controls by examining various indicators of compromise (IoCs) in order to determine whether files are malicious,” said Jason Brvenik, Chief Technology Officer at NSS Labs. ”The ability of a BDS to detect and report on successful compromise in a timely manner is critical to maintaining the security and functionality of the monitored network. We encourage enterprises looking to purchase a BDS to review the 2018 BDS Group Test findings for insights regarding which product provides the best protection and value for their organization.”
The following products were tested:
- Fortinet FortiSandbox-2000E v. 3.0.0 & FortiClient (ATP Agent) v.126.96.36.1997
- Lastline Enterprise (Sensor 1000) v8.0
- Trend Micro Deep Discovery Inspector Model 4000 (Hardware model 4100) v5.0 & OfficeScan XG SP1
As with all NSS Labs group tests, there is no fee for participation, and the test methodology is available in the public domain to provide transparency and to help enterprises understand the factors behind test results. Click here for more information about our group test policies.
- Purchase the NSS Labs 2018 BDS Group Test Reports
- View the 2018 BDS Group Test Methodology
- View the NSS Labs Evasions Testing Methodology v1.1
- Download our infographic titled “Breach Detection Systems in the US Enterprise”
- Learn more about NSS Labs’ Security Product Testing
- Learn more about NSS Labs’ Test Policies
- Learn more about NSS Labs’ Cloud Platform for Continuous Security Validation
- Follow NSS Labs on Twitter
- Follow NSS Labs on LinkedIn
- NSS Labs “Security Controls in the US Enterprise: Breach Security – Breach Detection Systems” October 2017
About NSS Labs, Inc.
NSS Labs, Inc. is recognized globally as the most trusted source for independent, fact-based cybersecurity guidance. Our mission is to advance transparency and accountability within the cybersecurity industry. Our unmatched foundation in security testing, along with our extensive research and global threat analysis capabilities, provide the basis for NSS Labs’ Cloud Platform for Continuous Security Validation. This cloud platform empowers enterprises with objective, empirical data and allows them to gain continuous visibility, gather actionable insights, and rationalize investments in their cyber programs. The cloud platform lets enterprises know where they stand by continuously validating the effectiveness of their security products and assessing the impact of unmitigated risks to the enterprise stack. This gives business leaders the relevant information they need to substantiate their security investments. CISOs, Chief Security Architects, SOC and Threat Analysts, and information security professionals from many of the world's largest and most demanding enterprises rely on trusted information from NSS Labs. For more information, visit www.nsslabs.com.
Phone: +1 512-498-7076