You are here
Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Market to 2026PTC Therapeutics Leads Industry Sponsors with the Highest Number of Clinical Trials, Followed by Sarepta Therapeutics and BioMarin
DUBLIN, June 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Market Spotlight: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
This Market Spotlight report covers the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy market, comprising key marketed and pipeline drugs, clinical trials, upcoming and regulatory events, patent information, a 10-year disease prevalence forecast, probability of success, recent events and analyst opinion, and licensing and acquisition deals, as well as presenting drug-specific revenue forecasts
- The report estimates that in 2017, there were 182,100 prevalent cases of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) in males worldwide, and forecaststhat number to increase to 199,100 prevalent cases by 2026.
- Marketed drugs for DMD include the FDA-approved drugs Emflaza, a glucocorticoid with anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant properties, and Exondys 51, a novel phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomer designed to induce the skipping of exon 51 in the dystrophin gene. The marketed drugs also include an EU-approved drug, Translarna, which acts by targeting premature nonsense mutations. Emflaza and Translarna are administered via the oral route, while Exondys 51 is available as an intravenous formulation.
- The largest proportion of industry-sponsored drugs in active clinical development for DMD are in Phase II. Therapies in mid- and late-stage development for DMD focus on a wide variety of targets. The largest proportion of pipeline drugs in mid- and late-stage development are administered orally, with the remainder being intravenous, intramuscular, intraarterial, and subcutaneous formulations.
- High-impact upcoming events for drugs in the DMD space comprise topline Phase III, Phase II, and Phase I/II trial results, expected PDUFA dates for NDA/BLA, and an estimated supplemental CHMP opinion.
- The overall likelihood of approval of a Phase I single-gene disorders (non-inborn errors of metabolism) asset is 25.8%, and the average probability a drug advances from Phase III is 66.7%. Drugs, on average, take 7.4 years from Phase I to approval, compared to 8.9 years in the overall metabolic space.
- There have been 20 licensing and asset acquisition deals involving DMD drugs during 2014-19, eight of which occurred in 2017. The $562m license and collaboration agreement between Sarepta Therapeutics and Summit Therapeutics, for European rights to Summit Therapeutics' utrophin modulator pipeline for the treatment of DMD, was the largest deal during the period.
- The distribution of clinical trials across Phase I-IV indicates that the majority of trials for DMD have been in the early and midphases of development, with 72% of trials in Phase I-II, and only 28% in Phase III-IV.
- The US has a substantial lead in the number of DMD clinical trials globally. The UK leads the major EU markets, while Israel has the top spot in Asia.
- Sarepta Therapeutics has the highest number of ongoing trials for DMD, with 10 trials. PTC Therapeutics leads industry sponsors with the highest number of clinical trials for DMD, followed by Sarepta Therapeutics and BioMarin.
Key Topics Covered:
Vitamin D supplement
RECENT EVENTS AND ANALYST OPINION
Emflaza for DMD (January 7, 2019)
CAP-1002 for DMD (December 21, 2018)
PF-06252616 for DMD (August 30, 2018)
AAV1-FS344 for DMD (August 30, 2018)
RG6206 for DMD (August 30, 2018)
Ezutromid for DMD (June 27, 2018)
NS-065/NCNP-01 for DMD (June 27, 2018)
Microdystrophin Gene Therapy Program (NCH) for DMD (June 19, 2018)
SGT-001 for DMD (June 18, 2018)
SGT-001 for DMD (March 14, 2018)
Golodirsen for DMD (March 12, 2018)
Translarna for DMD (February 20, 2018)
Ezutromid for DMD (January 25, 2018)
Translarna for DMD (October 25, 2017)
Edasalonexent for DMD (October 4, 2017)
Translarna for DMD (September 28, 2017)
Translarna for DMD (September 26, 2017)
Golodirsen for DMD (September 6, 2017)
KEY UPCOMING EVENTS
KEY REGULATORY EVENTS
Not The End For Exondys In EU, Says Sarepta
Sarepta Should Gain Clean Slate With CBER Review of DMD Gene Therapy
Sarepta Will Challenge Expected No From EMA On Exondys 51
Sarepta CEO Vows To Get Exondys 51 Into EU Despite CHMP Negative Trend Vote
Definitive Data Hopes Keep Santhera's Duchenne Drug Alive in UK Despite EMA No
With Back-To-Back FDA Holds, Solid Hopes To Regain Footing For Duchenne Candidate
Refining A Controversial Endpoint: Sarepta Banking On Dystrophin Levels For Golodirsen Approval In DMD
PTC's Ataluren and Accelerated Approval: Is Eteplirsen A Precedent After All?
PROBABILITY OF SUCCESS
LICENSING AND ASSET ACQUISITION DEALS
Santhera To Snap Up Second DMD Drug As Idorsia Climbs Aboard
CLINICAL TRIAL LANDSCAPE
Sponsors by status
Sponsors by phase
Sarepta Commits To Rapid, Thorough Pivotal Study For DMD Gene Therapy Based On Functional Improvements
In DMD, Summit Falls Well Short Of Peak It Hoped For
Sarepta Outlines A Fast Path Forward For Its DMD Gene Therapy
Pfizer Advances Duchenne Drug As It Prioritizes Gene Therapy
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/vpei7z
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research.
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-duchenne-muscular-dystrophy-dmd-market-to-2026ptc-therapeutics-leads-industry-sponsors-with-the-highest-number-of-clinical-trials-followed-by-sarepta-therapeutics-and-biomarin-300871249.html
SOURCE Research and Markets