You are here
Amarin Sponsors Multiple Scientific Presentations Scheduled for 2018 American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Session & Expo
BEDMINSTER, N.J. and DUBLIN, Ireland, Feb. 28, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Amarin Corporation plc (NASDAQ:AMRN), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the commercialization and development of therapeutics to improve cardiovascular health, is supporting the presentation of four accepted scientific presentations at the American College of Cardiology’s 67th Annual Scientific Session and Expo in Orlando, March 10-12, 2018. These presentations, and the underlying data and findings to be presented, were prepared in collaboration with leading health organizations and physicians.
“Amarin is pleased to be working in partnership with leading academic institutions and healthcare providers to research and identify these new and important findings,” said Craig B. Granowitz, M.D., Ph.D., senior vice president and chief medical officer of Amarin. “Analyses of cost and disease progression of patients with high triglycerides and other health states are important as tens of millions of adults have cardiovascular disease.”
Data to be presented includes:
- Triglycerides ≥150 mg/dL Associated With Greater Risk of Cardiovascular Events, Costs and Resource Utilization in High-Risk Statin-Treated Patients With Controlled Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol: A Real-World Analysis. Peter P. Toth, Craig Granowitz, Michael Hull, Djibril Liassou, Amy Anderson, Sephy Philip
- Long-Term Renal Function Worsens in High Cardiovascular Risk Patients With High Triglycerides and Well-Controlled Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in a Real-World Analysis. Peter P. Toth, Craig Granowitz, Michael Hull, Djibril Liassou, Amy Anderson, Sephy Philip
- Increased Medical Care Costs in Patients with Statin-Controlled Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Residual Hypertriglyceridemia. Gregory A. Nichols, Sephy Philip, Craig Granowitz, Kristi Reynolds, Sergio Fazio, Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, OR, USA
- Icosapent Ethyl (Eicosapentaenoic Acid Ethyl Ester) Reduces Potentially Atherogenic Lipid, Lipoprotein, Apolipoprotein, and Inflammatory Parameters in High-Risk, Statin-Treated Patients With Persistent Elevated Triglycerides and High-Sensitivity C-reactive Protein: A Post hoc Subanalysis of the ANCHOR Study. Michael Miller, Christie M. Ballantyne, Harold E. Bays, Craig Granowitz, Ralph T. Doyle, Jr, Rebecca A. Juliano, Sephy Philip
Amarin Corporation plc is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the commercialization and development of therapeutics to improve cardiovascular health. Amarin's product development program leverages its extensive experience in lipid science and the potential therapeutic benefits of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Vascepa® (icosapent ethyl), Amarin's first FDA-approved product, is a highly-pure, omega-3 fatty acid product available by prescription. For more information about Vascepa visit www.vascepa.com. For more information about Amarin visit www.amarincorp.com.
Amarin's clinical development program for Vascepa includes a trial known as the REDUCE-IT cardiovascular outcomes study, an 8,175-patient study commenced in 2011. REDUCE-IT is the first multinational cardiovascular outcomes study evaluating the effect of prescription pure EPA therapy, or any triglyceride lowering therapy, as an add-on to statins in patients with high cardiovascular risk who, despite stable statin therapy, have elevated triglyceride levels (150-499 mg/dL). A large portion of the male and female patients enrolled in this outcomes study are anticipated to also be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. As reported previously, Amarin expects to announce top-line results of this important study before the end of Q3 2018. The REDUCE-IT trial is being conducted under a Special Protocol Assessment agreement with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Additional information on clinical studies of Vascepa can be found at www.clinicaltrials.gov.
About VASCEPA® (icosapent ethyl) Capsules
Vascepa® (icosapent ethyl) capsules are a single-molecule prescription product consisting of the omega-3 acid commonly known as EPA in ethyl-ester form. Vascepa is not fish oil, but is derived from fish through a stringent and complex FDA-regulated manufacturing process designed to effectively eliminate impurities and isolate and protect the single molecule active ingredient. Vascepa, known in scientific literature as AMR101, has been designated a new chemical entity by the FDA. Amarin has been issued multiple patents internationally based on the unique clinical profile of Vascepa, including the drug’s ability to lower triglyceride levels in relevant patient populations without raising LDL-cholesterol levels.
FDA-Approved Indication and Usage
- Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) is indicated as an adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride (TG) levels in adult patients with severe (≥500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia.
- The effect of Vascepa on the risk for pancreatitis and cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia has not been determined.
Important Safety Information for Vascepa
- Vascepa is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity (e.g., anaphylactic reaction) to Vascepa or any of its components.
- Use with caution in patients with known hypersensitivity to fish and/or shellfish.
- The most common reported adverse reaction (incidence > 2% and greater than placebo) was arthralgia (2.3% for Vascepa, 1.0% for placebo). There was no reported adverse reaction > 3% and greater than placebo.
- Patients receiving treatment with Vascepa and other drugs affecting coagulation (e.g., anti-platelet agents) should be monitored periodically.
- In patients with hepatic impairment, monitor ALT and AST levels periodically during therapy.
- Patients should be advised to swallow Vascepa capsules whole; not to break open, crush, dissolve, or chew Vascepa.
- Adverse events and product complaints may be reported by calling 1-855-VASCEPA or the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
FULL VASCEPA PRESCRIBING INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.VASCEPA.COM.
Vascepa has been approved for use by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as an adjunct to diet to reduce triglyceride levels in adult patients with severe (≥500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia. Nothing in this press release should be construed as promoting the use of Vascepa in any indication that has not been approved by the FDA.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements about the future promotion and commercialization plans for Vascepa; expectations regarding future Vascepa sales and resulting revenue and company expenses for 2018 and inclusive quarterly periods; expectations related to multiple elements of Amarin's 2018 financial outlook such as anticipated expenses, cash balances and financing needs under various scenarios; expectations for continued event rates, timing of last patient visits, results and related announcement timing associated with Amarin's REDUCE-IT cardiovascular outcomes study; expectations related to the successful completion of REDUCE-IT; and statements regarding the potential efficacy, safety and therapeutic benefits of Vascepa, regulatory reviews and approvals of Vascepa internationally and related commercial potential. These forward-looking statements are not promises or guarantees and involve substantial risks and uncertainties. In particular, as disclosed in its previous filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Amarin's ability to effectively commercialize Vascepa will depend in part on efforts of third parties, its ability to create market demand for Vascepa through education, marketing and sales activities, to achieve market acceptance of Vascepa in new and current uses, to receive adequate levels of reimbursement from third-party payers, to develop and maintain a consistent source of commercial supply at a competitive price, to continue to effectively finance its business, to comply with legal and regulatory requirements in connection with the sale and promotion of Vascepa and to maintain patent protection for Vascepa. Among the factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those described or projected herein include the following: uncertainties associated generally with research and development, clinical trials and related regulatory approvals; the risk that related cost may increase beyond expectations; the risk that Vascepa may not show clinically meaningful effects in REDUCE-IT or support regulatory approvals for intended uses; the risk that patents may not be upheld in patent litigation and applications may not result in issued patents sufficient to protect the Vascepa franchise. A further list and description of these risks, uncertainties and other risks associated with an investment in Amarin can be found in Amarin's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent annual report on Form 10-K. Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. Amarin undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information contained in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances or otherwise.
Availability of Other Information About Amarin
Investors and others should note that Amarin communicates with its investors and the public using the company website (http://www.amarincorp.com/), the investor relations website (http://investor.amarincorp.com/), including but not limited to investor presentations and investor FAQs, Securities and Exchange Commission filings, press releases, public conference calls and webcasts. The information that Amarin posts on these channels and websites could be deemed to be material information. As a result, Amarin encourages investors, the media, and others interested in Amarin to review the information that is posted on these channels, including the investor relations website, on a regular basis. This list of channels may be updated from time to time on Amarin’s investor relations website and may include social media channels. The contents of Amarin’s website or these channels, or any other website that may be accessed from its website or these channels, shall not be deemed incorporated by reference in any filing under the Securities Act of 1933.
Amarin Contact Information
Investor Relations and Corporate Communications
Amarin Corporation plc
In U.S.: +1 (908) 719-1315
Lee M. Stern
In U.S.: +1 (646) 378-2992
In U.S.: +1 (212) 583-2791